Sunday, November 09, 2003

HTML / My Life: part II / Mental Chatter

Spent the entire morning screwing around with HTML, to see what will and won't work with Blogger and then deleted the post. There's no sense in me clogging this blog with images and tables. You can view the posting and editing tips here. I'm going to keep this blog litter-free as much as possible.

Just to clarify a few things about my family from the first post: I have one brother and one sister, both older. My mother hasn't drank in twenty years and all have recovered from the mess that was our childhood - as much as possible. I only mention my childhood for context. What's past is prologue and there is no escaping it. It makes us who we are as much as genetics. You can deny where you come from, but it only adds to the emotional baggage that clutters up your personality.

So much mental clutter. Not even sleep seems to quiet it down. When I awake, It's with the cacophony of thoughts, ideas, fears, and illogical relationships that collide in my brain. That must be what yoga is for - to shut that debris storm down. I heard on NPR (I'm a public radio junkie - in good standing) that research has shown that the older you get, the less your brain is able to filter out all that mental chatter. Which is why it is so important to train your mind - because you never know what it will come up with next.

The older I get the less tolerant I am of advertising. It's forced its way into every orifice of our cultural body. I know it's the engine of the economy, but there seem to be fewer and fewer quiet spaces where you can take a breather from it.



No comments: